Sunday, July 15, 2012
Light Vegetable Lasagna Recipe: Time Saving Tips for the 9 - 5 Working Vegan
I hope this post finds you all doing quite well. I have recently started working a full time 9 -5 job. As you may know, for the past three years I have worked for myself as a yoga instructor and while I was busy my schedule was much more flexible. I am enjoying my new job but it has taken some getting used. I find I have to really plan and schedule ahead to make sure I have healthy delicious meals to eat every day. I am also working on creating a new schedule for blogging so that I can continue to post new recipes with helpful tips for this lifestyle on a time budget.
Today I am sharing a light vegetable lasagna that is a wonderful summer meal. The main ingredients are currently in season such as the tomatoes, zucchini, and basil. In fact the reason I decided to make this recipe was because my boyfriend brought me a giant zucchini that was given to him by a coworker picked from his garden. I wish I had taken a picture of this zucchini because it was about 3 times the size of a typical zucchini. Also, speaking of tomatoes, I have a picture of our tomato garden below. You can't see them but they are covered with tons of green tomatoes! We are impatiently waiting for our green tomatoes to turn red so we can start enjoying them!
Five Time Saving Tips For the Working Vegan:
1. Create snacks ahead of time that you can enjoy during the week or take into work in addition to lunches. Right now I have got some flax granola going in the dehydrator that I plan on using for snacks for the week.
2. Prep your fruits and vegetables ahead of time so that when you reach for them they are already chopped, sliced and diced and ready to go for cooking or smoothies.
3. Have a go to fast food healthy choice in case your in a pinch and stuck without food. My healthy fast food choices are Chipotle ( veggie bean burrito bowl), Wendy's (Bakedpotato) or a grocery store's fresh cut fruit.
4. Bring no hassle fruits with you that do not require a lot of prep work to enjoy. Bananas and apples are great examples.
5. Make sure you have a stash of nuts and or dried fruit if you need a snack or have a hunger attack.
Do you have any time saving tips that you can share?
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe:
2 medium zucchini
Handful of basil
4 carrots shredded
Sea Salt to taste
1. Peel zucchini into thin strips.
2. In a food processor, blend the avocados with fresh basil, 1/4 onion and sea salt to taste.
3. Slice tomatoes thinly.
4. You are now ready to assemble your lasagna!
5. First, create a layer of zucchini noodles on the bottom of a glass baking pan.
6. Next create a layer of your avocado pesto.
7. Sprinkle the shredded carrots on top of the avocado pest.
8. For your final layer, add a layer of sliced tomatoes.
9. Continue to build up your layers until you are out of ingredients. If you use a smaller pan you will probably make two to three layers. With a larger pan, you may only have one layer.
10. Allow the lasagna to set for half an hour and then dig in and enjoy!